Band and Strip Heaters
Rama®Band and Rama®Strip heaters are computer-designed and verified to Rama standards and customer specifications. Highest quality materials are used in manufacturing to assure long useful service life.
Clamping Rama®Band Heaters
Rama uses extra strength full band clamps, the standard, low-profile design utilizes a 22 gauge stainless steel with continuous strap and spot welded turnover. These provide full strength clamping with minimum heat distortion. In addition, Rama also provides a 90° facing clamp, which is an integral part of the heater sheath, and the pin and-screw clamp, which is spot welded to the heater sheath and does not require a clamping band. These latter two designs are available upon request. All standard designs are supplied with the standard full clamp band.
Clamping/Derating Rama®Strip Heaters
Strip heaters should be firmly clamped to the surface to be heated to prevent expansion or bowing away from the heated surface. Clamping bars 1/4” thick are recommended spaced 3” to 4” apart. When spacing heaters as close as 3/4”, or in close proximity to bright reflective surfaces, reduce wattage by 10%.
Band & Strip Features
Our quality of work is our top priority. Here is a complete list of features.
Rama® Band Heaters
- Uniform thickness with excellent electrical insulation
- Mica sheets with excellent resistance to moisture
- Precision wound by solid state turn counting winder for high repeat-ability and accuracy
- Uniform heat distribution
High Emissivity Sheath
- Aluminized steel
- Temperature range to 900°F
- Rust resistant
- Approximately .130” thick
- Rugged stainless steel construction
- Design holds heater tightly against cylinder wall to maximize heat transfer
- Standard gap is 1/4”
- UL recognized rating
- Continuous 450°C service
- Standard leadwires are 12”
Installation and Operation
To maximize performance of the Rama®Band and Rama®Strip heater, follow these instructions
- Do not bend 1 piece heaters
- To provide close contact with heating surface, tighten clamping bands while taping around the outside of band heaters. After heat-up, occasionally re-tighten the clamping band.
- Match the wattage of band and strip heaters as closely as possible to avoid excessive on/off cycling.
- To tighten post terminals, bottom nut should be held in place while tightening top nut (to avoid putting stress on terminal).
- Avoid spilling oils, grease, water or molten plastic on leadwires, post terminals or ends of heaters.
- Do not pull on leadwires with a force exceeding 15 lbs.
- Make sure strip heaters fit in close contact with surface to be heated, using clamping bars as required. After heat-up be sure heater has not expanded or bowed away from surface, retighten as required.
- Select the band heater whose diameter most closely approximates the diameter of your part.
Guide to design selection
|A||Metal Braid||Same side, each end 3/4” minimum width|
|B||3” Fiberglass Sleeving|
|C||Metal Braid||Single point of exit perpendicular to heater surface 1” minimum width|
|D||3” Fiberglass Sleeving|
|E||Flexible Metal Conduit|
|F||3” Fiberglass Sleeving||Each end of heater on opposite sides 3/4” minimum width|
|H||3” Fiberglass Sleeving||Leadwires exit each end of heater, perpendicular to heater surface 1-1/2” min width and 1-1/2” min dia|
|RAMA®BAND||POST TERMINALS RAMA®BAND RAMA ®STRIP|
|K||Each end 1” min width and 1-1/2” min diameter|
|L||Same end, adjacent; 2” min width|
|M||Same end, tandem, 1” min width and 2” min diameter|
|MOD||LEADWIRES OR POST TERMINALS RAMA®BAND||RAMA®STRIP|
|N||2-piece, identical halves; any leadwire or post terminal configuration min ID 3.0”||N/A|
|P||WYE 3Ø, any leadwire or post terminal except Type C,D, or E||Same|
|Q||1-piece, bendable; any leadwire or post terminal except Type L under 3-1/2” width||N/A|
|R||Dual voltage/wattage; any leadwire or post terminal except Type C,D, or E (consult factory)||Same|
|T||90° facing clamp; any leadwire or post terminal except A,B,F, or G||N/A|
- Standard leadwire length for all band and strip heaters is 12”
- Max ID for 1-piece Rama®Band is normally 14-1/2”; anything over 14-1/2” would be a 2-piece design. Consult factory for longer ID requirements.
- Min ID for 2-piece Rama®Band construction is 3”.
- Standard terminal box dimensions: 1-1/2” wide, 1-1/2” depth at centerline, length may vary based on configuration. Dimensions for heaters with terminal box: Min heater Dia is 3”, min width is 1-1/2” Min Dia for 2-piece construction is 6”.
- Note: The Min Dia may be grater depending on type of terminal used on heater.
- For welded barrel nut clamps the top metal outer sheath must be stainless steel.
- Select heaters with diameters closely matching your cylinder or barrel ; allow a .25” gap between ends to prevent touching when they are clamped.
- Strip heaters under 2” wide have a full fold over.
Guide to design selection
Rama®Band Engineering Guide
- Select heaters with diameters closely matching your cylinder or barrel, allow a gap between ends to prevent touching when they are clamped. Standard gap is 1/4”.
- Calculate the surface area of your cylinder to be heated.
- Using the curves shown, determine the recommended watt density for your operating temperatures. For heaters 2-1/2” or wider decrease watt density by 15%. Decrease watt density by 30% when using “on/off” thermostats instead of solid controllers.
- Multiply surface area by watt density to determine required wattage for your heater.
- Select correct combination of heaters from standard designs.
Request a quote